Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Why our children are stupid

Disclaimer: I am by no means a Bovine Scientist, but I'm pretty sure about this one.

Otis is a traditionally male name. I'll come back to that in a moment. Something has really been bothering me ever since I went to see Pixar's Cars (which was excellent by the way). Because of the fact that cars was an animated feature, the trailers shown before it were almost all animated features, aimed toward children. Fine. All of these movies, like 98% of the rest of this genre, all looked like complete crap. Not visually, but story wise, originality of ideas and so forth. But there was one that stood out to me. That probable crapfest(as I have not and will not see it) is a movie put out by Nickelodeon called Barnyard. For one glaring reason, I had to wonder if any of the people who worked on this film had ever stepped foot any where near a barn, much less one containing animals.

Because I am too lazy, I have not researched just where Nickelodeon's animation studios are, but if I had to take a stab at guessing, I would guess somewhere in California. Now I know there are not a lot of cows running around L.A., however, some recent television commercials have led me to believe that there are indeed cows in the state of California. Supposedly the happiest cows in North America. Now if I wanted to make a film that had a cow as the main character, I would do a little research, and find out just what a cow looks like. Or more specifically, what a boy cow looks like.

I know this is fiction. It's fantasy. I know cows don't ride Harley's, walk around upright, or talk. All of that I can take, because hey, its entertainment. However, the thing that gets me is this. The main character of this film is a male cow. Otis is a traditionally male name. So I have to wonder, what the hell is up with this...?



Udders? Seriously? Why? I can not believe not one person that worked on this movie didn't realize that boy cows do not have udders. Which leads me to two conclusions. One is that they were put in there just because they look funny, which brings me back to the title of this post. Why our children are stupid. How many kids are gonna see this, then not be able to distinguish a male and female cow? But then again, if they're male, they're not cows! Or, the other option is Nickelodeon made an animated movie aimed toward 6 year-olds about a cow with gender assignment issues, which brings me back to WTF. If you've seen this movie, and you can shed some light on this for me, please....do tell.

0 comments: