Friday, April 13, 2007

Figure

When I was in school, figure drawing was by far my favorite studio class...and not for the reasons you might think. Our models were far from attractive, in fact many of them were straight up gross to look at. But that isn't what it was about, it was the excitement of looking at the way light forms shadow, and translating that to paper. I have been quite the slacker since being out of school for keeping up on drawing practice, but lately i've been finding the time and motivation. I've also abandoned drawing on paper when ever possible. This sketch was done with a Wacom tablet and good old photoshop...I'm still getting used to manipulating photoshop to behave like graphite or charcoal on paper, but the more I use it for sketching, the more I like it.



I can tell I'm a bit rusty because this drawing took about twice as long as it should have, but speed comes with practice.

0 comments: