the lights and buzz

Have you ever been listening to a song and thought "wow, that's exactly how I feel at this very moment"? Jack's Mannequin...I can't say enough good things about this band. Andrew McMahon of Something Corporate fame decided to do a side project and the end result was Jack's Mannequin, and the album was Everything In Transit. The album itself is amazing, as the entire record tells a story of sorts. Shortly after recording this record, Andrew was diagnosed with cancer, and for most of the next year, was fighting to get well again. (the album was released last august or early september)
A year and more has passed, McMahon is feeling more like his old self, and is currently touring with a backing band. I recently had the pleasure of seeing them perform live at the House of Blues in Orlando, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. I can't say engough good things about McMahon and his songwriting...there's something familiar about all of the stories his songs tell. If you do not own this album, go out now and buy it.
But an endorsemt was not the point of this post. Jack's Mannequin has released another track on itunes not available on the album. This track is equally fantastic to anything on Everything in Transit.
Since I've been back in CO, I haven't been able to help this sence of a lack of permanence. I've avoided doing things, trying to not get too comfortable. I've avoided getting close to people knowing I may have to just pick up and leave again soon. Although the lyrics are about california, they might as well be Colorado. It may not be christmas, but i've been living in a perpetual summer for over a year now.
the lights and buzz:
"I'm coming home from my hardest year
I'm making plans not to make plans while I'm here
And this life has been no holiday, a complicated situation
I'm fine with all my memories
Still I could use vacation
It's Christmas in California
And it's hard to ignore that it feels like summer all the time
But I'll take a west coast winter to remove my splinters
It's good to be alive
It's good to be alive
I'm coming home to the lights and buzz
Streets look the same, still nothing's as it was
This place is paradise I'm sure, here's my reservation
I've gotten lost here once before
Inside a good vibration
It's Christmas in California
And it's hard to ignore that it feels like summer all the time
But I'll take a west coast winter to remove my splinters
It's good to be alive
It's good to be alive
It's good to be alive
And time, time it stops for no one
The seasons come and go and that's just time
Yeah time it stops for no one
The seasons keep on going
Whether or not we're blind
Christmas in California
And it's hard to ignore that it feels like summer all the time
But I'll take a west coast winter to remove my splinters
It's good to be alive
It's good to be alive
It's good to be alive"


2 comments:
I saw them this weekend in Denver! What a great show, I've never seen anyone play piano like that before.
Jase,
First time I saw them was so much better! Maybe cause I was with you in Orlando...but also because the 2nd time around...they were just the opening band for O.A.R.
They deserve the spot light as the featured band!!!
Can I just say...I love them...LOVE them!?
Anyway, I know you are feeling a lack of plans and permanency here...but keep an open mind. Colorado is my favorite place in the world!
Post a Comment